|Interview Tips|Dressing for Success:
Whether you are meeting with the manager, of simply walking in to ask for an application, dress professionally. It is imperative to make a great first impression.
- Arrive and “Check in” 10-15 minutes prior to your scheduled interview. Bring 3-4 copies of your resume;
- Introduce yourself to the receptionist and let them know you are... “here for a job interview with Mrs. Smith,” then take a seat and wait quietly;
- Do not text or play on your cellphone, keep it out of sight;
- Make sure your phone is on silent mode. Vibrate is not good enough. Sometimes a phone will be turned on by accident and buzz while it turns on. Put it on silent. Or just leave it in the car;
- When you are approached by the interviewer, stand to greet the interviewer with your winning smile, make eye contact and shake hands.
- Aim, connect shake, and make eye contact;
- Grip should be firm, not limp;
- Shake hands, not fingers (like a princess). Professional women will not be offended;
- This is not the time for high fives, fist bump, etc.
- Shake firm, but don’t break bones!
- Stop before you hear a crunch!
Tell a story:
- Speak loud and clear;
- Keep answers brief and straight to the point;
- Speak proper English;
- Practice talking without saying “like” or “umm”;
- Tie all of your answers back to the job for which you are interviewing. This works wonders!
A story is like giving the evidence or proof to your statements. You may say you are a “leader,” but can you give a real life example? Stories are remembered. When your stories are remembered, you are remembered, and they will remember who to call for the job.
Book your mock interview today: email us at iYES@cityofirvine.org
or call us at 949-724-6741.
Our office is open by appointment only,
10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Please call or email us to schedule an appointment.
Youth Employment & Programs Office
14351 Yale Avenue, Irvine, CA 92604